Friday 21 August 2015

IKEA veggie balls



So on my way home from Disneyland I decided to have lunch at the airport. We were in terminal 1 and everything had either cheese or chicken or cheese or tuna. I ended up eating Pringles and cashew nuts and a little package of baby food pure.



The minute we got back to Ireland we made a stop at IKEA. Since they released their veggie balls back in April/May 2015 I hadn't been to their store yet.

We got there and I noticed several things:


1. veggie balls are located at the center of the hot food display

2. veggie balls are 50 cent cheaper than the meat version
3. they also have now a vegetarian hot dog meal


I went up to the lady serving the food and asked if there was dairy in them. Her reply "Let me just check here..." (looking at the allergen list right in front of here) "No they don't... these are even suitable for vegans. But not the sauce, I can leave the sauce off if you like"



WOW... great service! I didn't even have to say I am allergic; they have the list in front of them to advice people about the allergens; she knows what vegan people are (!a first in the last few days..) and she kindly suggested to leave off the sauce as the sauce contains milk.

Thank you IKEA.


This is great service, and this was exactly was I was expecting at Disneyland **. Plus how hard it is to make veggie balls and freeze them? While I was walking to our table I saw they have several booklets with the allergen advice and ingredients throughout the restaurant; again this is ideal for you to consult without asking someone that has no time, perhaps didn't have training on the matter or even patience to check this for you.





I tried the veggie balls and they are delicious, really tasty and even without the sauce they are not too dry. These veggie balls are delicious and a proof that any fast food restaurant can make delicious vegan food (and also cheaper than the meat version). So on our way out we got a frozen package of veggie balls to take home! (4,95€ for a massive package)




Regarding my previous posts during our holidays:

Disneyland: PLEASE LEARN from Ikea, or get them to cater at your theme park. I really felt that if I were physically handicapped I would have had an easier time at Disneyland than being the weird Vegan who doesn't eat dairy. This is not acceptable, Veganism is not a disease and it is not hard. Maybe someone should remind you that the UN urges people to swift from meat based to plant based... 

** for the Disneyland story check my other posts... tag/label 'Disneyland Paris'