Thursday 30 July 2015

1 year milestone / check up done!


It's almost 1 year that I started my vegan lifestyle and diet. I know many people think i'm weird and extreme because I choose not to eat meat, fish, eggs, milk; others think it is a phase and that I will see down the road that I do need meat to survive; others think I just want to be different and annoying at dinner parties...



Well it's not a phase,
we don't need meat to survive,
I don't feel tired and anemic,
I don't want to be annoying at dinner parties (actually I hate it when people find out that i'm vegan and start the usual questions),
yes we can live without cheese,
no I do not take supplements. 

Today I got my blood test results back and they are not looking good... they are perfect !

Calcium levels are supposed to be between 2.15 and 2.55 mmol/L and i've got 2.25 ! 
> How is this possible?! If i haven't touched milk in a year, i mean we need cow's milk to have strong bones... ;)

Iron levels are supposed to be between 9-30 umol/L and i've got 18 ! 
> How is this possible?! If i haven't touched meat in a year? We need red meat to keep our iron levels high! :p

Cholesterol levels are supposed to be between 3 and 5 mmol/L and i've got 4 ! 
> I'm just lucky to have cholesterol levels low, this has nothing to do with my diet ;)



So I am the living evidence that we do not need meat to be healthy and that we actually can be healthier without the fat from animal products. 

Being healthy on the inside is also important and knowing that when I sit down for dinner no animal was tortured for me to have my dinner makes me happy, relaxed and I enjoy my food much more now.
I also have lost 28 lbs since i started this a year ago via a vegan plant based diet and regular exercise. I had never ran in my life and my cardiovascular system was in terrible shape. 
> I will run next week my first official 8k run ! :)



So... let me be the labeled as the weirdo, I'm happy enough to be the healthy weirdo. At least I am not spending my time thinking about the next special pill or tea to reduce my blood pressure and/or my cholesterol... The only way to do that is being healthy, altogether, is all aspects of your life, inside out: you have no idea how much power the mind has over your physical health! 

And to people worried about their cholesterol levels being high because you cannot give up your cheeseburger: sorry to break it that's nobody but your own fault, it's your choice to be healthy or unhealthy.